Confession: this post is 110% for me- but I hope it can be useful for others, too! Sometimes I find myself getting stuck in a rut in the morning. The kids play or watch a show and I have my coffee and just kind of sit there, wandering aimlessly on social media or in a half-sleep kind of state on the couch for 45 minutes. But what if I had goals in the morning? Would my day run more smoothly? Would I be happier, healthier, and more productive? I bet you can guess the answer. I narrowed down a list of seven things to do within the first hour of waking up for a better day.
1. Drink something. Coffee, tea, or just a big glass of water. Wake yourself up and hydrate from a night of sleep (or lack thereof). Take fifteen minutes and check Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, texts, email-- whatever it is you use to connect with the world.
2. Make your bed. Sounds weird, but when I make my bed my day is almost guaranteed to go better and be more productive.
3. Start a load of laundry. If you're all caught up, tackle that one thing you've been avoiding. Maybe a pile of clothes on the dresser or an overstuffed drawer. Just find something to accomplish.
4. Make breakfast... not just for the kids! If I eat in the morning with the kids I'm 120% less likely to be grumpy and lose my patience with them. Maybe its an egg, maybe its oatmeal, maybe its a shake. But if you start off with a little protein you'll have the energy to tackle the rest of this list ;) Breakfast tends to be the biggest indicator of how my day is going to go, so often I use Instagram as an accountability tool to document and make sure I'm getting off to a good start. I aim to eat (and feed my family) something whole grain, something fruit, some vegetable, and some form of protein. Of course there are those frozen waffle or cereal days but having the goal of a balances meal sets you up for a greater chance of success.
5. Read a morning devotional. If I were to just open my bible and start reading, I might not know where to begin. This is where devotionals come in. A one page passage reading to center your mind and heart on truth can give you something to meditate on all day. Something positive, something encouraging, something to help you look both inside and outside of yourself. For me this is invaluable. Do it over breakfast!
6. Schedule a workout. Plan out when your going to get some exercise- a walk, a run, some weightlifting. Whatever it is you do, commit now to a time to do it. Endorphins are real. your confidence will get a HUGE boost. You'll feel better physically, mentally, and emotionally.
7. Get dressed! Again, everyone! Not just your kids. Even if its just another pair of yoga pants, change and start a fresh beginning for the day. Take a five minute shower. Put on a little make up. Comb your hair. You've got this, Momma!