Candied Ginger (and Ginger Simple Syrup)
3-4 Ginger Roots
1 cup of water
1 1/4 cups of sugar (plus extra)
1. Peel the ginger using a spoon to scrape off it's skin (much easier than a peeler or a knife)
2. Rinse the ginger, then slice into thin strips. They will mostly remain the same size at the end, so make them as large as you want the finished product to be.
3. Boil the water/sugar mixture, then add the ginger strips and reduce heat. Simmer for 25 minutes.
4. Remove the cooked ginger with a slotted spoon and place it on a rack or cookie sheet to dry (this could take overnight, it did for me) then roll them in extra sugar, if you desire.
5. Pour the syrup into a jar and save it in the fridge for mixing with seltzer to make ginger ale!