I can't believe I've never worked with salt dough before now... if you have .50 cents and an afternoon free, you can easily make this project. This woman also gives a good description of how to make them. My step-by-step is listed below!
1. For the dough (which we LOVED the consistency of) mix 1/2 cup salt, 1 cup flour, and a 1/2 cup of water in a bowl. I used my Kitchen-aid mixer to expedite the process, but you can do it by hand also. If it seems to watery add a little more flour.
2. Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut out various leaf shapes.
3. Lay the leaf cutouts across bowls and cupcake pans so they keep a nice shape while baking. (see picture below to get a better idea)
4. Bake the bowls/pans at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 hours.
5. Once they are cool, you can paint! In the same cupcake pans I baked the candle holders on, I mixed a little bit of several paint colors with warm water. We applied the paint to the bowls and let them dry.
6. Fill your candle holders with candles and enjoy the autumnal glow!