But you know what? We had a super-fun afternoon at Mood's Blueberry Festival, I got an awesome t-shirt, and I'm still going to share my recipe for 'Blueberries and Cream Cupcakes,' even though it's not a prize winner. There you have it. :)
Jessica's Blueberries and Cream Cupcakes
for the cake:
3/4 Cup Butter, softened
2 Cups Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 1/2 Cups Flour
2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup milk, or half and half.
for the filling (also makes a wonderful pie filling):4 cups blueberries
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp lemon juice
for the icing:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
a dash of salt
2 tsp vanilla
7 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 cup half and half
1. For the cupcakes, combine butter and sugar in a stand mixer until light and fluffy.
2. Add in eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla.
3. Combine dry ingredients and add to butter mixture, alternating with the milk.
4. Place into cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 16 minutes at 350 degrees.
5. For the filling, wash blueberries and place them in a large sauce pan over medium heat for 7-8 minutes, or until they soften and a liquid forms in the pan.
6. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and add to the blueberry sauce, mixing well. Continue stirring over medium heat for two minutes until the filling is thickened.
7. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Let cool.
8. In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and icing sugar until well combined.
9. Add vanilla, salt, and half and half and beat until light and fluffy.
10. Fill cooled cupcakes with blueberry filling, and pipe icing on top.