I do apologize for always trying to "healthify" a good recipe. Cookies. Milkshakes. Now biscotti? Andrew tells me that as long as I don't tell him the specifics he's good with whatever ingredients I put into a recipe. My lips are sealed on this one. Well, kind of. After I finish eating my third biscotti of the morning.
Whole Wheat Chocolate Biscotti
preheat oven to 350 degrees
6 Tbs Butter
1 Cup Raw Sugar (you may replace this with white granulated sugar)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
Mix ins: Total of 2 cups, your choice of ingredients. I recommend walnuts, almonds, pecans, flax seeds/meal, dark chocolate chips, shredded coconut. I used all of the aforementioned.
1. In a mixed, beat the softened butter and sugar until fluffy. Add 2 eggs and the vanilla on medium speed for 2 minutes.
2. Turn mixer off and add in dry ingredients, until just combined (all except mix ins). If your dough is a bit dry (it should look like the picture below, and come together when squeezed) then feel free to add 1/4 cup vegetable oil.
3. Add the mix ins and once combined, turned the mixture out onto a prepared baking sheet (or stoneware)
4. Form into two equal sized logs, about 3 inches across and 6 inches long.
5. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees, then remove from oven and let them cool. Don't turn your oven off yet!
6. Once cooled for about 15 or 20 minutes, slice the logs into half inch wide biscotti. Position them on the baking sheet so that they are not touching one another.
7. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until they're "done" in the center.
Serve warm or cooled with coffee. Freezes well.